Jane & Kyle
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Canadian fiddle champions Jane Cory and Kyle Burghout have toured across Canada playing at festivals, competitions, camps, dances, theatres, and house concerts. Each with many accolades to their credit—Jane a Canadian Grand Masters Fiddle Champion, and Kyle a North American Irish Fiddle Champion—they join forces to create innovative arrangements filled with lush twin fiddle harmonies. Both growing up in areas with rich fiddling traditions—Jane in Manitoba and Kyle in the Ottawa Valley—their music is influenced by these traditional styles, while also featuring contemporary tunes written by fiddlers from across Canada and beyond, including many compositions of their own.
- Gatineau Hills Fiddle Festival, Chelsea, QC (October 2023)
- Folk Music Ontario, London, ON (October 2023)
- Canadian Grand Masters Fiddling Competition, Truro, NS (August 2023)
- Celtic Music Interpretive Centre, Judique, NS (June 2023)
- The Bassment, Saskatoon, SK (April 2023)
- Irish Cultural Society, Calgary, AB (April 2023)
- The Heatley, Vancouver, BC (April 2023)
- Festival du Voyageur, Winnipeg, MB (February 2023)
- AlgomaTrad, St. Joseph Island, ON (May 2022)
- Tunes on Tap @ Copper Bottom Brewery, Montague, PEI (September 2021)
- Goderich Celtic Roots Festival, Online (August 2021)
- Manitoba Arts Network Stay at Home Festival, Online (March 2021)
- Folk Alliance International, New Orleans, USA (January 2020)
- Manitoba Showcase, Gimli, MB (October 2019)
- John Arcand Fiddle Fest, Saskatoon, SK (August 2019)
- RBC Ottawa Bluesfest, Ottawa, ON (July 2019)
- Burdick Center for the Performing Arts, Dunseith, ND, USA (June 2019)
- The Park Theatre, Winnipeg, MB (May 2019)
- Burdock, Toronto, ON (May 2019)
- LIVE on Elgin, Ottawa, ON (May 2019)
Jane Cory began classical violin lessons at the age of five, and at the age of seven she discovered fiddle music. Since then, she has gone on to explore many styles such as Old Time, Celtic, French Canadian, Métis, Ottawa Valley, Jazz and Bluegrass. She has competed at many prestigious competitions across the country, and has performed at countless festivals, concerts, social events and charities. She has collaborated on several studio albums with artists such as Dan Frechette, Liabilities and Kyle Burghout, and released her first solo album Road Between the Saints in 2014, which was co-produced and engineered by Canadian fiddle legend Calvin Vollrath. In 2021, she released her second album Of Hills and Valleys as a duo with Kyle Burghout.
Jane has also become an established teacher across the country, both in the classical and fiddle styles. She has instructed with programs such as Suzuki Music Winnipeg, Frontier Fiddlers, and Fiddleheads Musical Theatre, and has instructed at music camps such as the International Music Camp and AlgomaTrad. Jane has taught private lessons from her own home studio since 2013, and when not busy teaching or performing, she resides on several music boards including the Canadian Grand Masters Fiddling Association, and the Gatineau Hills Fiddle Festival.
Jane graduated from the University of Ottawa in 2018 with a Bachelor of Music violin performance degree. That same year, she became the second Manitoban ever to win the Canadian Grand Masters Fiddle Competition.
Having performed across Canada, the USA, Ireland, Italy, Austria, and Hungary, Kyle Burghout has established himself as one of Canada’s best young fiddlers. Kyle and his music have been featured on CBC radio and television, as well as in Irish Music Magazine and The Canadian Fiddler. His many awards include North American Irish Fiddle Champion, Grand North American Old-Time Fiddle Champion, and five-time finalist at the Canadian Grand Masters Fiddling Competition.
Kyle has also been composing music for over a decade, including numerous fiddle tunes as well as larger works for solo, chamber, and orchestral ensembles. His tunes have been played across Canada and internationally by Kyle himself, as well as by Natalie MacMaster & Donnell Leahy, Shane Cook, The Fitzgeralds, The O’Schraves, Alanna Jenish, Jane Cory, and many others. Kyle was named a winner of the 2017 Canadian Songwriting Competition for his compositions.
When not performing, he is the Co-Director of the Gatineau Hills Fiddle Festival in Chelsea, QC, and is also the Youth Coordinator of In Concert for Cambodia, an Ottawa-based fundraising initiative that has raised over $125,000 for children in Cambodia through music concerts.
In September 2017, Kyle released his first solo album, The Prism Within, featuring traditional tunes and many of his own compositions. He has also released an album with Justin Thériault & Susan Toman (2023), as well as an EP with trio Branches of Silver (2015).